- 1 cup tapioca flour (also known as tapioca starch)
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it.
- In a saucepan, combine the milk, water, vegetable oil, and salt. Place it over medium heat and heat until it just begins to boil. Remove it from the heat immediately.
- Add the tapioca flour to a mixing bowl. Pour the hot liquid mixture over the tapioca flour.
- Stir the mixture vigorously with a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth, sticky dough.
- Allow the dough to cool for a few minutes until it is warm but not too hot to handle.
- Mix in the grated Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Crack the egg into the dough and mix until it’s fully incorporated.
- Wet your hands to prevent sticking, then shape the dough into small balls, about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter. Place them on the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between each one.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the Brazilian Cheese Breads are puffed up and have a golden-brown color.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before serving.
- Enjoy your warm and delicious Pão de Queijo. They’re best when served fresh!
These Brazilian Cheese Breads are naturally gluten-free and have a delightful chewy texture with a cheesy, savory flavor. They make for a fantastic snack or appetizer and are a hit at parties or gatherings.