- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1 cup vegetable broth (ensure it’s gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Avocado slices, sour cream or dairy-free yogurt, and chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic, and sauté for about 2-3 minutes until they’re softened and fragrant.
- Stir in the diced sweet potatoes and cook for another 5-7 minutes, allowing them to brown slightly.
- Add the diced red and green bell peppers and minced jalapeño pepper. Sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, ground cinnamon, salt, and black pepper over the vegetables. Stir to coat them evenly with the spices.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes, black beans, and vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Taste the chili and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili hot, garnished with avocado slices, sour cream or dairy-free yogurt, and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
This hearty Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili is not only gluten-free but also a delicious and nutritious option for a cozy dinner. Enjoy!